Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Healthier Choice

We are not health nuts by any stretch of the imagination- but I am always open to trying healthy things and I would probably try cooking with light ingredients more often if my husband was more open to the idea- not that I want to eat beans and rice all the time- but you know what I mean. Anyway, maybe we made some progress last week when I made... gasp... TURKEY BURGERS! I had ordered one at a restaurant that was very good and was wanting to give it a whirl. So these are the ones I made and I must say, I thought it was delicious and even Ryan- who was completely UNstoked about the idea, enjoyed them I believe.

Tex- Mex Turkey Burgers


1 1/4 lb. ground turkey
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 Tbs. dried cilantro flakes ( I used fresh because I love fresh cilantro so much!)
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup salsa
4 hamburger buns split ( I toasted mine)
4 lettuce leaves

In bowl, combine turkey, taco seasoning, and cilantro- shape into four patties ( I got 2 packs of turkey and doubled the seasoning and it made 5 nice large patties). Grill covered, over medium heat 5 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with cheese and grill 2-3 minutes longer, until melted. Combine sour cream and salsa. Serve burgers on buns with lettuce and sour cream mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment