Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Stuffed Chops

Usually while standing in the grocery check out line I am eyeing all the cooking magazines. But being amazed how much they can charge for those things, I usually have an easy time passing. This last time though, I was not so strong and totally splurged to bring home with me the issue of Better Homes and Gardens: The Best Comfort Food. I wanted to make all of it, and have made several recipes already. Here's my plug- I think its available until mid April, so if you want pick yourself one up- all the recipes look awesome and we have liked al the stuff we've tried so far! The one below was definitely brag worthy. It's not hard, just involved, so it will be so much more enjoyable if you make it with plenty of time on your hands. It's a GREAT company dish that will totally impress.


Apple Stuffed Pork Chops

1 Tbs. butter
1 cooking apple- peeled, if desired, sored and chopped
1/3 c. chopped onion
2 tsp. fresh snipped sage (1/2 tsp if you use dried)
2 Tbs. shredded white cheddar
4 pork rib chops or loin chops

Bread crumb topping
1 c. coarse soft crumbs from crusty bread
2 Tbs. butter, melted
2 Tbs. chopped walnuts ( I omitted)
1 Tbs. fresh snipped Italian (flat leaf) parsley
2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel

Cheese Sauce
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 c. chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 Tbs. apple juice (or Calvados- I didn't have nor was I going to buy- the apple juice worked great)
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar ( 2 oz.)

1. preheat oven to 375.
2. for stuffing- in medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. add apple, onion, sage and cook until tender.
Stir in 2 Tbs. of cheese and set aside.
3. Trim fat from chops. Make pocket by cutting horizontally. Divide stuffing into chops and if needed use toothpick to secure. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

4. In bowl: combine bread crumbs, butter, parsley, and lemon (walnuts too if using). Place chops in roasting pan and sprinkle with crumb mixture.

5. Bake 40-50 minutes or until 160 degrees with clear juices.

6. For sauce, in sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt and pepper. Add chicken broth, cream, and Calvados or juice. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Serve over chops.

** I didn't skimp on the ingredients-used all fresh and splurged on a block of good white cheddar.
(Since I am posting this later than planned, not sure if you can get this edition of BHG still on the stands.)

Again I gave myself plenty of time to make this and it was really fun and the pay off was well worth it. So good. I wasn't sure if it was really up Ryan's ally, but he even loved it. Yummy with the potato wedges as mentioned below.

No comments:

Post a Comment