Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Winter Staple

This is definitely a winter staple in our house. I love to make it for football games and it hits the spot on any brisk afternoon. Today my hubby had a big day at work and I wanted him to feel good when he walked in the door, so I had the kids ready for naps, the house cleaned up, a candle lit, and this in the crock pot with the aroma filling the house(this doesn't happen on a regular basis =). Sounds good, huh! We thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm willing to bet you would too!

French Dip Sandwiches in the Crock

1 boneless chuck roast (3 1/2- 4lbs- I make more for a big gathering, less for just us)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 beef bouillon cube (a lot of times I will just do beef broth-atleast 2 cans- cause I don't use bouillion cubes that often and usually end up throwing them out)
1 bay leaf
3-4 peppercorns
1 tsp dried, crushed rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
(I also like to add a few dashes of Worcestershire)
French rolls, split

Place trimmed roast in slow cooker. Combine rest of ingredients (minus the rolls, obviously) and pour over roast. Add water to slow cooker until roast is almost covered. Cook, covered, on low for about 7 hours or until very tender. Remove and shred/ slice. I dump it back into the pot with the juice and just have a ladle for the juice. Serve on rolls (we toast in the oven with Provolone) and reserved broth for dipping. I also like to serve with sauteed onions and sometimes peppers.

I know the onions look not so great in the pic- if onions aren't your thing, leave them off,  but if they are your thing, mmm, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment