Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cobbler of Resourcefulness


At our house here in Lawrence we have a giant mulberry tree perched on the edge of our neighbor's driveway and shading our front lawn. Since this (elderly) neighbor has complained multiple times about berries dropping on her driveway we had considered cutting it down (at the suggestion of said neighbor). However, now that I know I can bake with the bountiful berries from the tree, I am content to sweep her driveway and reap the fruits of the season! After a bit of web research, I laid out a tarp on the front lawn and began vigorously shaking the branches to get the berries to fall to the ground. I probably looked pretty funny doing so, but I think it's worth it for an endless supply of free berries!

The first recipe I tried with the berries is a cobbler. I adapted a recipe from http://www.helium.com/items/1680476-mulberry-cobbler-reecipe, substituting buttermilk for some of the milk. If I made this recipe again, I would be sure to use unsalted butter, but this was a use-what-you-have-on-hand kinda day! I'd probably also add a little sugar to the batter.

2 cups mulberries, or more
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
6 T butter, melted
3/4 c flour
1/4 to 1/3 cup rolled oats (optional)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk (I used about 1/2 buttermilk)






Preheat oven to 350. Mix berries and sugar thoroughly. Pour butter into 8x8 glass dish. Mix dry ingredients and milk. Pour over melted butter (do not mix - the butter kinda makes the crust - yum!). Then sprinkle berries over the batter. Bake for about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. this sounds wonderful! there's a mulberry tree on campus that i usually go and pilfer berries from. love your blog! miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful resources. Leave the tree! I grew up in a mulberry tree.... and my brother also dropped me on my head from the same tree, long story? Your kids could do the same? Momma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you didn't end that poor tree's life because of some anthropocentric neighbor! I used to climb a mulberry tree in my grandmother's yard and sit for hours up there.

    ReplyDelete