Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Baby, It's (Still) Cold Outside

Okay, so spring is just around the corner, but I wanted to include this recipe before it got here. Soup cooking is about to die down a bit I'm sure (even though I can eat soup any day of the year), but you just may have one last chilly day that would be crying for a pot of soup on the stove, and this particular pot of soup is a great pick!!

Potato Leek Soup

6-8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups chicken broth
3-4 leeks sliced
1 cup cream ( I always use way more)
(butter)
Bacon, cooked and crumbled- or even the real bacon pieces in a bag are still pretty decent
Shredded Cheese

Boil potatoes in chicken broth. Saute leeks in butter (or bacon grease if you fried your own bacon) until soft. Add in the pot with the potatoes. Add bacon and cream (you can use half and half if you want to make it at least a little more figure friendly). Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer and serve with cheese.

I always buy extra broth and extra cream so that I have plenty and can add more if I need. If you've never cooked with a leek before, they look like giant green onions. I cut the "rooty" part of the bulb and the really flat parts at the top and use everything in between. I slice them in halves lengthwise and then chop them.They are like a milder onion and are absolutely delicious. This soup is easy and so satisfying! Enjoy!

I don't have a picture now, but next time I make this I will be sure to take one and add it on =)

No comments:

Post a Comment