Thursday, May 7, 2009

Just the Way Yo' Momma Makes It

My mom was never an avid cooker when I was young, but she did have several "signature" things that I will always remember her making often. You know- it's those things that I think we feel like "Nobody makes them as good as our mom did." So there are a few things I am sure I will always make just like my mom did and that to me is the best way since I never really knew any different. I made one of my mom's old recipes last night and thought I would share- her meatloaf.

Some of you may cringe at the word "meatloaf" and I'm not going to say I blame you. That's why I like my mom's and it is the only meatloaf I have ever really eaten. TRUST ME- I dont' want to eat mystery meat with three colors of the rainbow fleckered through it, either. That's why I love this simple and tasty recipe. It really is good, and my husband (and Bennett of course!=)would agree!
Mom's Meatloaf

about 3 lbs. ground beef

2 eggs

1 cup oats

1/2 cup ketchup

1/2 large onion chopped

salt and pepper

Mix these ingredients well (you'r going to have to use your hands and it's going to hurt=) Then mix in about

1/2 cup milk.

Form into two loaves and place in greased baking dish. I always squirt some ketchup on the tops before baking for looks. Bake at 350 for about 1 hr. 15 min. It's always a good idea to serve with some mashed potatoes or the good ole' southern staple-Hashbrown casserole (pictured above) for an all around comfort meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment