Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Bringing Jamaica to You!

When we were dating Ryan decided he wanted to be sure he knew how to grill. So I got him the Grilling for Dummies book to help him out. =) I hadn't looked at this in years, but when we were in the mood to grill the other night and I wanted some inspiration I pulled this book out of my cookbook cabinet. I saw this recipe and decided that I wanted to give it a whirl- even though it sounded totally different- I have never made a jerk marinade before. Some of the ingredients sounded strange to me, but after looking at several other jerk recipes, it lined right up- so we did it and it was AWESOME! Ryan was skeptical at 1st when I said I was going to make jerk chicken- as the memories of the lime green bony stuff we "ate" on our mission trip to Jamaica came flooding into his head. "No honey, that was the curried goat that we ate after seeing it sitting on some one's doorstep on the way to our work site that morning." Relieved that that was NOT was I was planning on setting before him that night, he jumped on board and he thought it was delightfully delicious as well!! Even though he would never use the words "delightfully delicious" himself =). Be daring- give it a try- you won't be disappointed, I promise.

Jerk Seasoned Chicken Breasts

About 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts ( the recipe said eight, but for me, that was a five pack)

1/ 4cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup orange juice
3 scallions, finely chopped (green and white parts)
4 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbs. lime juice (about 1 lime will produce that for ya!)
2 Tbs. soy sauce
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp. brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. dried leaf time
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Trim chicken of fat and rinse and dry well. Combine remaining ingredients, beating with a fork or whisk to mix well. Place chicken in a large freezer bag (or a shallow dish) and pour marinade over. Seal the bag pressing out the air, and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally to coat well.

Place chicken on well oiled, preheated grill and grill for 10-12 minutes total (5-6 on each side) or until done.

Seriously even if you are freaked out by the ingredients- try it! We had it with Lipton's oven roasted potatoes and roasted fresh asparagus. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment