Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Yes, Another Casserole


I cooked this recipe the other night on a night where we didn't really know what to have and I was looking for something simple. I wasn't really expecting it to be something to brag about or to make as a "usual", but we actually really enjoyed it and I will definitely make it from now on. It's beefy, noodley creamy, saucy, and cheesy- and for me that spells comfort food!!! If you shied away from the previous pasta casserole that I just posted because it had too much "stuff" you weren't a fan of- this one may be a little more up your ally. I also got this out of our church cookbook.

Toula's Casserole

1 lb. ground beef ( I used a little more)
16 oz. can tomatoes ( I always prefer the petite diced for stuff like this)
8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
8 oz. noodles ( I used wide egg noodles)
1 cup sour cream
3 oz. cream cheese
6 green onions, chopped (I didn't use quite that many)
1 cup (+) grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350.
Brown meat and drain. Stir in tomato sauce, salt, garlic, and sugar. ( I also added some Italian seasoning in, thinking it may need something more, I then thought I might regret that decision since this isn't really specifically an Italian dish, but I definitely don't think it hurt anything, and may have added some flavor- I also of course peppered the sauce generously). Simmer for 10 minutes. Cook noodles and drain. While warm, mix sour cream, cream cheese, and onions in with noodles.
Layer in a baking dish ( my 2 1/2 qt. Corning wear was filled, but fir perfect). Start with meat, then noodles, then a layer of cheese and then I did another layer of meat and topped with cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes.

I didn't take a picture this time around, because we just dug in and I really didn't think it was much to impress- but it reallywas a good simple, comforting and satisfying meal paired with a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment