Wednesday, June 3, 2009

One Dish Bliss

Here you have a true meal in one. I tried this recipe that a gal I know had put in our church cookbook and I believe she said she got it from a Southern Living easy weeknight meals. I wasn't sure how it would turn out with all the ingredients and I didn't want it to taste too "casseroley" with the cream soup and all, but it really didn't and we enjoyed it as just a good hearty meal.
It was easy, but I did it on a night when I had lots of time to dirty and clean dishes as I went and do all my prep work- if you don't you will have the sink piled up with dirty bowls and pots by the time you are done, and that is no fun! It would make a great meal to take to someone- just bring it to them made up and ready to pop in the oven.

Three Cheese Chicken Pasta

8 oz. penne pasta ( I cooked more)
1 tsp olive oil
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 small red bell pepper, chopped fine
1 box frozen spinach
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. pepper
16 oz. cottage cheese
2 c. shredded roasted chicken (using a rotisserie chicken is the way to go)
1 c. sharp cheddar, shredded
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup milk
1 can cream of chicken soup

Preheat oven to 425.

Cook pasta and spinach according to package and drain. (Drain spinach well!!)

Heat olive oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Saute mushrooms, peppers, and onion for about 4 minutes. Add spinach, oregano, and pepper and saute an additional 3 minutes. Set aside.

In large bowl, combine cottage cheese, spinach mixture, pasta, chicken, 3/4 c. cheddar, and 1/4 c. Parmesan, milk, and soup. Spoon into a greased 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment