Monday, June 22, 2009

Oh So Berry Good!

I am sitting here enjoying a bowl of reheated blackberry cobbler that I made last night for Father's Day. I found this recipe last summer and loved it, and I can't believe I am just now making it again. I think I love it so much because it is just so simple- it's like a cobbler your grandma would make. If you like berries, you will love this!!! And by the way, I am well aware I am no Pioneer Woman- in neither my cooking skills, and certainly not in my photography skills, but I did include step by step pictures for this one that are solely for practical purposes =) Hopefully they will help with the instructions, despite their unprettiness- how could they be pretty with my lovely taupe laminate counter tops for a background anyways? (Oh well=)

Blackberry Cobbler
1 cup butter divided (that is 2 sticks, so there is no need to divide)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups self rising flour (if not self rising, use the same amount regular with 1/4 tsp. salt and 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder- but I tell you, I do love the self rising for this recipe!)
1/3 cup milk, room temperature
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbs. sugar

In 10 in. oval or round baking dish, melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter; set aside.
In saucepan, heat sugar and water until the sugar is dissolved.
Place flour in mixing bowl; cut in remaining butter (second stick- which is good to have softened) until fine crumbs form.
Add milk, stirring with a fork until dough leaves the side of the bowl.

Turn out onto a floured surface and knead three or four times.

Roll out to an 11x9 in. rectangle that is about 1/4 in. thick.

Spread berries over dough and sprinkle with cinnamon. (I like to smash some of my berries up a little during this step.)

Roll up, jelly roll style. (My dough sometimes crack in this step- especially if I use frozen berries that are still a little cold- I don't think it hurts anything. I also do this on wax paper not to stain those beloved taupe Formica counters too badly)

Cut into 1/4 in. thick slices and carefully lay slices in baking dish over butter. (I usually have to smush them in there and still end up with two layers- that is perfectly good.)

Pour sugar syrup around slices. (You will think uh- oh! But trust me it is supposed to look like that- I promise the water will absorb!)

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with sugar and bake 15 minutes more and this is what you will pull out....

My favorite way to serve it is hot with a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream... duh!

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog through a friends! :) I just wanted to say I LOVE it! :) You seem like such a genuine, sweet person. I love to bake, and am trying to get better at the cooking... Every recipe is sounding good so far!!!
    Also- to get those stains off of your "beloved" formica counters, use "BarKeeper's Friend" (I think that is what it is called) No need to even scrub hard! it comes right off. :) My mom introduced it to me. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete